It is my unpleasant duty to inform...

Pretty much anyone who's acquainted with me knows I like all kinds of "girly stuff," a la Bath and Body Works. I'm not so into froo-froo dresses and painted nails, but I can't get enough of lotions, creams and things to make my bath time fabulous.

So the other day I wandered into the aforementioned store to see if any of their autumn home fragrance line was on sale. I was met with a barrage of Christmas decorations and products. I literally looked at my watch to check the date: Oct. 17. The saleslady come up to ask if I needed any assistance. You mean besides helping pick my jaw off the floor? I told her "no thanks, I actually came to find some more of your autumn products." "Oh, those were gone weeks ago," she replied.

I couldn't hide my surprise/disgust at the display before me. She tried to reassure me that retail is always two months ahead. Well, that's great ... "The only problem with that is that I, as a consumer, see the beautiful leaves on the ground and wonder what fun seasonal stuff I can find to make my house mimic the season." She didn't seem to have a good answer for this argument, simply repeating her original "two months" comment.

Is this really what we've come to? Kids are out still picking their Halloween costumes and I can't find a friggin' pumpkin candle?

I left the store disgusted and determined not to return ... for at least a week.

1 comment:

Everyday Anne said...

A cryin shame. I feel the hurt there, Lois. Maybe we could form a club that fights this sort of seasonal oppression?