What REALLY bugs me about Halloween

I have NOTHING against people who celebrate Halloween. My best friend did it all the way through childhood and my adorable nephew has gotten into costume each year of his young life. My family never recognized the holiday, primarily for religious reasons.

But there is one thing I truly hate about this time of year, apart from the dark history associated with it: scary movies. I hate that many cable channels, and even some network, insist on previewing the ickiest, most frightful flicks in the two weeks or so leading up to Oct. 31. They range from suspenseful to creepy to horrific. What's worse, when I'm flipping through the channels, I am blindsided with some disgusting image. OR, I stop on a show that looks semi-interesting only to be met with another sudden, distgusting image.

The worst of it, however, is that weird human response one has to see "what's going to happen." This feeling always gets me into trouble and I end up getting way more than I bargained for -- an image in my mind that's difficult to erase.

I know there's scary stuff on year-round. But in the month of October, it's a bombardment. The whole candy and cute costume thing, I get. But the need to scare the pants off people? Never.

2 comments:

girlfriday said...

I hate having my pants scared off. Especially when I'm around other people

Ibid said...

I had forgotten about this. I guess because I haven't watched TV since about May. I never liked it either, though.