Practically perfect

That is the phrase that, at least for me, best describes the movie "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." My whole family went to see it two nights ago (we were chomping at the bit, actually). And it did not disappoint.

The casting of the children is achingly accurate; they are beautiful with personalities to match their characters' to a tee. The scenery is lush, instantly transporting viewers. The time period elements were highlighted thoughtfully, setting a scene for WW2 London that can be overlooked when reading the text in black and white (the children's clothes and a '40s-style song playing as Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy run through the English manor).

What impressed me so much was the translation of the story onto the big screen. This is no easy fete when working without a narrator. But Andrew Adamson and company managed to capture the rhythm and spirit of the story just right. It stays extremely true to the C.S. Lewis classic, and any embellishments are merely illustrative (there are almost no omissions).

It is a nice thing to have a favorite book that can double as a favorite movie; doesn't happen very often. I could write a lot more about my Narnia experience, but don't take my word for it: Go see the first Chronicle for yourself.

3 comments:

girlfriday said...

There truly were scenes that felt transported from my imagination. Or was it because my imagination was so influenced by the illustrations?

PS: What's a fete?

Everyday Anne said...

I am so envious! Also very glad that the movie is not a total bust. I look forward to watching it soon too! Have a wonderful Christmas Lois!

thebeloved said...

I loved it too--and yes the music was definitely a highlight... do you know if they have a soundtrack out?