Mad money well spent

A few weekends back, I did something slightly uncharacteristic of me: I bought three CDs in one outing. Before that day, I think I had bought one CD a few months back. As much as I love music, I don't get around to purchasing much of it (and not because I'm pirating it, for the record).

But this particular month, I resolved to spend a nice chunk of change from my mad money to obtain three albums I'd been eyeing for some time: "Chariot" by Gavin DeGraw, "Hot Fuss" by the Killers and "Strange and Beautiful" by Aqualung. I was pretty pleased with myself, too.

My favorite thus far has been the Killers' debut release. Depending on what phase of life I'm in, one genre of music will speak to me more than others, for some inexplicable reason. DeGraw, Killers and Aqualung differ in style enough that one is bound to stand out. And in January 2006, that was "Hot Fuss."

The rock album is a high-octane blend of driving rhythms, big musical sound and vocals (courtesy of Brandon Flowers) that both ache and soar. Nearly every song is a homerun, and the band doesn't waste any time getting things rolling with the first track, "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine." Then there's no letting up; even the "slow" songs make you anxious to hear what's next.

"All These Things That I Have Done" has emerged as my favorite track, though "Mr. Brightside" will always hold the sentimental spot. "All These Things" is an epic unto itself beginning with a foundation, building to a crescendo then going for the jugular with an emotional and cathartic conclusion. The thing even has character development. Great music!

The Killers' sound is intense, the kind of thing you want playing while angry, frustrated or just very determined.

DeGraw's "Chariot" had also been on my list of music to get for ages (I know I'm a slacker, you don't have to tell me). And it is very likable. Gavin is never able to top the lyrical and musical impact of the first track -- "Follow Through" -- on the rest of the album, but I'm not sure he's even trying to. It seems his aim is to convey impressions and observations in a very raw, real way.

His voice is never "touched up" for a glossy effect; it's just a guy singing his guts out. It's organic, and it works. You can't stop yourself from bopping your head (excuse the grandma-ish term) defiantly, even with a snarl, because the songs are so honest. "You sing it, Gavin!" DeGraw is an authentic talent and the only place he's going any time soon is up.

Aqualung's "Strange and Beautiful" is a departure from the type of music I've been infiltrating my ears with of late. This is perhaps why I haven't been giving it the airtime it deserves. Lately it's been all about the punch -- music that builds and really brings it home. Much of Aqualung's music doesn't do that, at least on an obvious level. But if you're paying attention, songs like "Good Times Gonna Come" offer a good climb.

"Strange and Beautiful" is a perfect background for writing or reading and would also play quite nicely in the bedroom (gasp! What did I just say?). Many of the tracks begin with a nice, even lilt; it's almost hypnotizing. But don't take that to mean Aqualung will put you to sleep. His sweet, soulful voice combines flawlessly with lyrics that drip with longing and meaning (just listen to "Brighter Than Sunshine").

P.S. I downloaded five songs from iTunes yesterday, all completely different from one another -- older, newer -- but highly recommended: "Save Me" by Remy Zero (I watch only the beginning of "Smallville" every week to I can hear this song), "The Air That I Breathe" by The Hollies (one of those songs that takes me away every time it comes on the oldies station), "Irish Hymn" by Kevin Max (more people should know how good this ex-D.C. Talk-er is by himself), "Mushaboom" by Feist (girlfriday's rich and random musical knowledge led me to this amazing voice), and "Thank You Stars" by Katie Melua (another girlfriday referral -- a haunting yet simple vocal that lingers in your mind).

1 comment:

girlfriday said...

Your spending spree is my jackpot.