"Listen to Your Heart"

The song by Roxette is catchy. But is it good advice?

People are always spouting off about the importance of "following your heart." I usually nod in agreement because it sounds so right. But what if your heart isn't in the right place?

Let's "put a pin in" the fact that your physical heart isn't what all the fuss is about. It's what our heart represents: our truest selves. If we're true to it, however difficult, it will lead us to happiness and/or fulfillment. My question is, do we put too little or too much importance on our hearts?

At times, my emotional heart would have me pursue something that I intellectually know to be unwise. Does it make it OK to do just because "my heart" encourages it? Obviously, no. But then again, maybe it's not my heart afterall making these irrational gestures. Perhaps it's just a major artery?

This may be the most question marks I've ever used in a post. Not a great sign of certainty, on my part. That's OK. These are just a few thoughts that have been streaming through my mind during conversations with friends ... and myself. Feel free to weigh in to your heart's content :)

1 comment:

Everyday Anne said...

Finding the perfect blend of intelectualism and heart... Hmm? Can't have one without the other, but how to balance is the real question. Not unlike swimming up stream in high water or snorkeling with a hole in the face mask. Not an easy task.