Another gem from the neighborhood kids

The other night I opened my front door to go on an errand. As I did, a boy of about 8 came plowing into the cove of our door, nearly running into me.

Me: "Whoa!"
Him: "I'm hiding" (girls were making their way up the complex stairs into our hallway). "I've got a box of money."

I noticed he had what appeared to be a cash box in one hand and a sword-like piece of wood in the other.

Me: "Really?"
Him: "Ya! Wanna see?"
Me: "Um ... OK" (since he was already opening said box).

Inside were black-and-white photo copies of 5- and 10-dollar bills.

Me: "Wow! Ya you do."
Him: "I took it from people."
Me: "Just like a pirate, right?"

Pause. Followed by wide eyes and a big grin.

Him: "Oh, I AM like a a pirate!"

At which point he began dueling with an imaginary sword-wielding foe. Made my night.

1 comment:

girlfriday said...

What a great mom you'll be.