The big day


Thursday is Thanksgiving. More importantly, it's the first Thanksgiving for which I'll play hostess. And I am floored.

I really enjoy entertaining, and try to do it often in spite of our apartment living situation. Is it big enough for eight people at once? Technically, yes. Will four of us invariably be in the kitchen at the same time and bump into one another's bums, which may lead to frustration? Without a doubt, yes. But still I couldn't be happier. I actually think close quarters are best -- when family is involved, I like when the room gets almost uncomfortably warm and five different conversations are going on at once within earshot. It's melodic chaos to me.

For those of you keeping tabs, this also means I'll be attempting my first turkey. It's a rite of passage of sorts for lady-folk, as my husband keenly noted -- "like when guys start scratching themselves." The heart of a poet, that one :)

So, what are y'all doing for Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

girlfriday said...

I'm excited too. I can't wait to spend Thanksgiving at your house. I'm sure the turkey will be spectacular and the company unforgettable.

SerineKat said...

Let's see... I had dinner with some friends here in the UK along with a couple of French-Canadians. Never a dull moment in my life! I came home and watched some BBC and then went to bed.
Way to go on the dinner! I wanted to cook this year but sadly my man was away and my dog was a pest. Hopefully next year when I'm back in the USA I can give it a go. Let us know how your turkey turned out!

Lois E. Lane said...

My turkey turned out fab, if I do say so myself. It had the perfect blend of herb and butter flavorings and was cooked to darn-near perfect. Thanks for asking :) I'm glad your day was eventful, serinekat! And FYI, girlfriday makes a mean carrot-horseraddish casserole...

girlfriday said...

It was the second to worst casserole ever. But maybe next time.

Lois E. Lane said...

Then why did I finish the leftovers in two days???