When souls mate

One of the strangest things about marriage is the coexistence of one purpose and two perspectives. Every now and then, I look at my husband and think, "How is it possible that we're clearly two peas in a pod yet couldn't disagree more about [insert topic here]?"

This week we had one of those "difficult" talks, where emotions run high and frustrations even higher. You want so badly for the person who shares your bed, your sink and your car to share your opinion as well. How can we see this so differently when we laugh at all the same things?

These talks are hard, but not having them is harder. Pick your poison: now or later. Either way, take a deep breath and remember it's not the end of the world.

The first 24 hours after a talk such as this feel odd -- even holding hands seems out of place, and eye contact takes effort. But you go to bed, wake up and start the day as usual. "This is my husband, the man I chose and would choose again in a heartbeat."

We don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but thankfully, we walk hand-in-hand through all of it. A refreshing sprinkle of rain to him might be my threatening storm, and the sunshine that irritates his eyes might create an inspiring sunset for me. We won't always view our circumstances and possibilities the same way, but we're there together in the thick of it all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a very cool metaphor:

"A refreshing sprinkle of rain to him might be my threatening storm, and the sunshine that irritates his eyes might create an inspiring sunset for me."

Everyday Anne said...

Well said, my dear friend. Why put off till tomorrow what you could have made up with by tomorrow? Or something like that...

girlfriday said...

A lovely post. Are you really my "little" sister?

I love your poem too Brett.

Together the two of you have helped make a good night great.

Lois E. Lane said...

Brett wrote a poem? Do tell!

girlfriday said...

I am an idiot.