"What is cancer?"

My almost-4 nephew asked my mother and me earnestly a few days ago. He overheard a discussion we were having about a dear girl we know who is suffering from complications.

"Cancer is something that happens in your body to make you very, very sick."

"How did she get cancer?"

Great question ... if only there was an answer.

"I don't know, honey."

She is only 6 years old. A spark-plug, a cherub, a chatterbox, a jock, a beauty. A cancer patient.

And then there is my friend (who may as well be a sister), who lost her grandmother to the monster not one month ago. "I am so sick of cancer," she wrote to me. It is an ugly beast. You hear the word everywhere now -- no longer surprised that your cousin's sister in-law or neighbor's pastor or the guy from that TV show have been diagnosed.

And yet, as the degrees of separation become fewer upon hearing the news, it's suddenly jarring and raw again. "I used to babysit her." That's when your heart drops just in time for a punch in the gut. Lord have mercy on the ones who instead say "I conceived her."

The Healer hears us, so let us pray.

2 comments:

Posh Mama said...

Cancer is a hard thing, I have a close friend who is recovering from surgery removing a brain tumor, and my dad just had surgery to remove a part of his femur that had a tumor in it. We just found out he has to begin Chemo. My heart goes out to all who know some one, or are that someone and prayers are lifted on their behalf.

Ibid said...

My sister was just telling me that the statistics now are that 1 in 3 women will get cancer; 1 in 2 men will.

It makes me want to retire to my own island completely devoid of cell phones, animal fats, microwaves, chemical cleaners, or smoke/emissions of any kind (taking everyone I know with me who would make the sacrifice). Hm. I'll get right on that.