Recipes are telling things


At first I didn't think it was too big of a deal that I'd added 4 tablespoons of cornstarch instead of 4 teaspoons to the oil. I simply tried to scape out what of the powdery substance hadn't yet mixed with the oil -- and promptly plopped it in the sink. But this was not to be my most egregious misreading of the night.

Turns out I needed an additional tablespoon of cornstarch right at the end, and I should probably mention that a few tablespoons was all I purchased out of the oh-so-convenient bins at the market (I'm a cheapskate).

I had not read through the entire recipe before starting. This is the story of my life. Except instead of cornstarch, I throw time down the drain. Instead of mixing up tablespoons with teaspoons, I confuse vision and reality.

Sure, there are worse vices than not looking ahead, but it's a vice all the same. Just as my eyes are always bigger than my stomach in the buffet line, my ambitions are bigger than my abilities. Some day I'll learn to stop and think it out.

Of course, if I'd started doing that five years ago, I might not have landed my husband...

2 comments:

SerineKat said...

dude, talk about classic ADD. Wanna try my ritalin?

Everyday Anne said...

And "land" your husband you did :) I think all of us suffer from our eyes being bigger than our stomach's from time to time ;)