Oh, Harry


Last night I finally finished "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" -- yes, I'm a wee bit behind. I thought it was a fantastic book. It really says something about a novel when you can be riveted even though someone spoiled the ending for you (jerk!) and not even half-way through, you guessed the identity of the Half-Blood Prince (I'm a genius).

And yet again I found myself feeling maternal, wanting to fling my arms around our hero, who's been orphaned on so many levels, to tell him everything's OK. Sigh. After 2,000 and some odd pages, you can feel pretty connected to a character.

I highly recommend this book, but not to children. There are some decidedly creepy and disturbing moments. Children should read the books at the rate in which the schools years progress for Harry -- in my opinion, anyway. The first installment, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," is suitable for any bright 10- or 11-year-old reader.

We can save the whole Christians-shouldn't-read-about-magic debate for another day. I'm tired of having it. I am an adult with a firm grasp on reality and no desire to become a witch. I just like good books. Magic is the vehicle that drives the story of Harry Potter, but not what it's about. It's about love and friendship and courage -- all good things.

And now I cannot get my hands on "The Deathly Hallows" fast enough!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes just enjoy it for what it is a jolly good tale.

Anonymous said...

Yes, and what will they want next on their chopping block? The Wizard of Oz? The Tales of Narnia? I, too, am a born again believer, and even though I have not read Harry, I do not condemn anyone who does who, like you, have that firm grip on reality.

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry. CHRONICLES of Narnia. :-/

Lois E. Lane said...

Hooray for solidarity!