Back-row bicycling



I belong to a gym. Gold's, to be exact. I never thought I'd be a Gold's girl, but I happened to marry a very physically fit man who had such a membership and got me on for a steal. So I work out ... sometimes.

Last autumn I enjoyed working up a sweat and trying to shed some pounds. But the goals change somewhat once you're expecting. I have to make sure my heart rate isn't too high, and I'm working too hard if I can't finish a complete sentence without getting winded. So the stationary bike has been my friend of late. At this particular gym, there are two rows of bikes on the second level.

The hands-down, No. 1 advantage of riding in the back row is that no one can see what I'm watching on my personal cable screen (because who would want to exercise without TV, right?). From the back row, one gets to look at everyone who walks by and look at what all the folks in the front row are watching on TV. Then, of course, one can inevitably pass judgment on said people for their poor viewing tastes. "Really? 'Flavor of Love' is what motivates you to pedal like the wind?"

Of course, then I wonder if some of the front-row folks are self-conscious at all about the judgments irrational people like me are casting on them. For instance, would that guy be watching "American Idol" if it wasn't for me seeing back here? I saw him linger on a few family-friendly options for a few moments before settling on some cage fighting match. "It's OK, buddy. You can watch 'Super Nanny' save the day. Your secret's safe with me."

Who's to say I'm not watching a thought-provoking presidential debate? No one. Ha!

3 comments:

elphaba said...

Maybe they should come up with a system where all of the bikes are wired to a single tv and the person with the most sweat, best pedaling technique, most variety in pedaling resistance...you name it, it could be different every night, gets to choose the channel on the one large TV.

elphaba said...

You know the guy watching idol REALLY wanted to see Zach Morris outwit Mr. Belding.

Everyday Anne said...

You go girl... my gym motivation has plummeted. There is only one tv at my gym and you have to try to get there first or else you are stuck watching "Divorce Court" with a 52 year old man who holds the power of the remote. Hmmm.