A Brave, Un-Special World

I saw a TV ad for the Special Olympics a few weeks back and it really made an impression on me -- partly because it was a great commercial and partly because I'm pregnant.

You see, I heard about a statistic, which was verified in this New York Times article. According to the May 2007 story, 90% of women who are told their child has Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies.

It's honestly hard for me to think of anything I've read recently that's more disturbing and utterly horrendous than that. I don't like abortion as it is, but throwing away a human life over Down syndrome? Really? In this age of conservationism, there is nothing more wasteful.

I know everyone is different and has a different world view, but as a mother in waiting it's difficult to imagine what on earth I could find out about my unborn child that would make me not want him or her. That statistic makes me want to grab these women by the collar and say, "This is your child! THIS IS YOUR CHILD. If you're willing and ready to have one, does it matter how well it fits your idea of perfection? Exactly how conditional is your love?"

I defy these women to look someone else's Down child in the eyes and tell him he's taken away from, not added to, his parents' quality of life.

Some years down the road, there will be no more need for a Special Olympics -- not because we've eradicated birth defects, but because we in our infinite wisdom have decided these lives aren't worth living. God have mercy on us.

I know this post is super far on the serious side and emotionally charged, but you're dealing with a very pregnant lady, so I make no apologies. By the way, here's the ad:

5 comments:

Everyday Anne said...

I remember you telling me about this commercial. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for bringing it to our attention. I think we could all be more compassionate.

JEB said...

There simply aren't words for this.

Melissa said...

Some years down the road, there will be no more need for a Special Olympics -- not because we've eradicated birth defects, but because we in our infinite wisdom have decided these lives aren't worth living. God have mercy on us.

You are right, God have mercy on us.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Thank you for this post. It's powerful.

girlfriday said...

What's sad is that the genetic testing that takes place (at least the kind I was offered) is a blood test and frequently inaccurate. The doctor tells you this up front.

Turns out we have friends whose son and wife opted for the genetic testing, were told their child would have Down Syndrome, but it didn't.

Courage, women! Courage.