Embracing Santa Claus

I've never been a huge Santa fan. Probably because my parents chose not to carry out the childhood illusion with us. We never believed. But I had a lot of friends that did ("not that there's anything wrong with that").

Now at my ripe age, I find myself relieved upon seeing the red-and-white-clad symbol of the season. Why? Because in a culture that's trying so hard to edge out the "Christ" in Christmas, Santa seems the closest we've got to the real thing. These days, it's all "happy holidays" and "seasons greetings" -- in part so retailers can lengthen the shopping season, and in part to secularize a government-recognized holiday. Christmas exists, people. Live with it.

Even the classic colors red and green become more scarce each year. It's not that I think there's some great color conspiracy, but every little Christmas detail that's blurred into a "holiday" generalization makes me a little sad. And as much as I don't like the non-religious appeal of Santa at Christmas, I do like the fact that no other winter holiday can claim him. Afterall, 'tis the night before Christmas he comes each year!

I probably won't tell my kids about Santa, either. Not because it's a bad thing; I just don't want anything to detract from the true meaning of Christmas in our family. That, and I don't know if I'd be a very good fibber about something in which I never believed :) Superman would have to handle all the reindeer/North Pole questions. But I'll still be glad the jolly old saint is out there stumping for Christmas.

3 comments:

girlfriday said...

I've been thinking along similar lines. Remember the line from the Miracle on 34th Street remake about how Santa Clause is a symbol of the goodness in us, urging us to supress our darker instincts?

The Alter Ego said...

There is no "christ" is christmas. Only in English do you see the word "christ" in there. In scandinvia it's still Jul (Yule) and in Germany it's weihnacht - nothing christ about it. Our christmas is a simple christian adoption of pagan traditions to celebrate solstice.

Santa isn't even right; the US santa is basically the Coca-cola adopted "ho-ho" guy in a red suit. The real Santa Clause of The Nederlands, wore only green - and would punish bad kids. Not just ho-ho around for all kids.

The message in christmas is wonderful. And we should celebrate regardless if we believe or not in christianity; we should celebrate that we have each other, and that we have the ability to make this a better place. What we shouldn't do is believe in this comsumer craze. I'm sure even Jesus would shiver from the pure crazyness that's being done is his name.

Lois E. Lane said...

Bah, humbug! :)