The Superman of my heart

Today is the designated day to verbalize our romantic feelings and to express our love in the form of chocolate and flowers. Luckily, I'm a girl, so I don't have to buy either! While I don't love my husband any more on Valentine's than any other day, he is worth the time to pause and acknowledge what a fine romance we have.

Our romance has never been punctuated with rose bouquets, Godiva chocolates or shiny jewelry. In all truth, those things have rarely come into play. This is our fourth Feb. 14 together as a couple. Though this year's will probably be the most anticlimactic, I think it will be the best so far. The first little patch of marriage for us has been rough. Financial crises, conflicting schedules, unmet expectations and growing pains in general each take their toll. But through it all, by the grace of God, that little spark -- finding each other's hand just before drifting off to sleep and smiling, or the laugh you share that no one else in the world could understand -- is brighter than ever.

My Superman doesn't need to rescue me from danger every day, or reverse time to change outcomes, or take me on a moonlit flight over the city. My mild-mannered reporter by day saves me with his quiet protection and character of steel.

1 comment:

Everyday Anne said...

Ahhh... very Sweet Lois.... and rather eloquent. You should be a writer or something. What an amazing thing love is!