The weight of words

I am a very verbal person, in case you hadn't guessed. I love words and putting them together in a fitting way -- complimentary, cutting, sentimental, etc. My husband loves words as much as I, but he is not as verbally expressive in an emotional way as I am. Daily, I lavish him with "words of affirmation" (one of the five love languages). Words in this intimate context don't carry as much weight for him. Unless, of course, I say something negative.

All bets are off.

Isn't that something? We can spend so much time praising those around us, and it's coming from an honest place. But when that honesty betrays any criticism, a comment is permanently on the record. Oh, that we remembered the nice stuff far more than the rough stuff.

Afterall, the nice stuff is just as true as the rough stuff.

No comments: