Authentic Faith: Part 1

Lately the concept of this so-called "Prosperity Gospel" has been weighing on my heart ... again. It's something that makes me both angry and sad at the same time. It's a watered-down, twisted-up, made-to-order gospel. Why fix something that ain't broke? The true Gospel IS the good news; you can't improve it, people.

I'm only one person, but I know there are millions of Christians out there who understand the frustration and long for churches to preach authentic faith. So I, in my own little blog with a handful of readers, will do what I can to make a stand. Every now and again I will post under the heading "Authentic Faith," quoting scripture and recognizing movements or people who live out the Gospel the way it was meant to be lived. I'll do this instead of tearing down those individuals who preach the Prosperity Gospel (which is highly tempting and easy to do).

Today's meditation comes from Paul's instruction to the Romans on how to behave like Christians...

"Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion." (Roman 12:16)

5 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I usually think of myself as pretty on top of and in touch with things, but I honestly thought prosperity gospel hit its apex in the 80s, and nobody talked much about it anymore. Am I wrong? I guess I am. I'm not trying to get you tear anyone down, I'm just confused. Anyway, it'll be interesting to read about authentic faith.

Everyday Anne said...

I like your idea here, Ms. Lane. Keep the encouragement in the faith coming!

marine's words said...

Hi, I just found your blog, I am with you on that prosperity Gospel thing "what would Jesus say??" and so many people buy into it who is right?who is wrong? or have the preahcers taking it out of order,however you never hear a priest message on these suject,I am with you on Romans:12;16
The other day I was talking with a somewhat of a friend of mine and she said she won't raed the bible b/c its beem rewriten too many times!!she does however belive in God,but I told her the bible is our word of God to us,she said no not extacaly it has been rewriten too many times,,oh do you talk to some one like that and yet she belives in the cross and its meaning but has no interested in reading the bible. sorry I went off the sbject a bit. I have a very small blog just started it I am not a writer like you ,but I try and say what I feel. and no one ever says pray for the peace of the Jewish state don't they know how important it is to pray fo these nation that brought us our faith,blessing marina

melissa said...

Well said. My mother and aunt are followers of the 'prosperity teaching' and I'm not able one bit to get my mom to see the flaws in that teaching. It just makes her feel so good. Odd when she doesn't reap the fruit these guys push at her.

Pure gospel, not watered down. That's what I'd pray for her to experience.

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

i like this idea... i may join you in this... is that okay?