S.W.A.K.

Don't let anyone tell you there's anything sweeter or cuter than baby kisses, because there isn't.

My son is already an excellent kisser (I'm sure he'll love to hear that declaration replayed when he's in junior high). He figured out very early what kisses were and how to get more: Open your mouth and throw your head back.

I'd always been told about the intensity of affection mothers feel for their children, but it's so much better experienced than told about -- not unlike a U2 concert or Double-Stuff Oreos. Anyway, even more than the kisses and coos, what gets to me is the eye contact. My Special K looks at me in a way no one ever has before. It's overwhelming. I hesitate to use the word "romantic," but it's in the same ballpark.

In fact, I often marvel at some of parallels between falling in love with your mate and falling in love with your baby. As with your mate when you've only known each other for a short while, there's this sort of infatuation you feel with your child and you can't get enough of him. You hang on every sound and live for every smile. And you want to document every moment in your diary so it's never forgotten. Sigh.

I'll leave you with the lyrics to a song by the artist Plumb, who captures the heart of young motherhood strikingly well on her album "Blink." This is "My Sweet, My Lovely."

I tiptoe
Hush hush...
Pitter pat
Goes my heart...
Your beauty
Your innocence

Joy is found
With every kiss

My sweet, my lovely
My sweet, my lovely
So sweet, so lovely
Close your eyes
Close your eyes
Close your eyes
Close your eyes

I stare into
The bluest eyes
Time stands still in
Your smile
You weren't there
And now you're here

I dreamed of you
But I never know how...sweet and lovely

My sweet, my lovely
So sweet, so lovely
Close your eyes
Close your eyes
Close your eyes
Close your eyes

4 comments:

Posh Mama said...

2 things, I "heart" Plumb! And that song :) have been a fan since I saw her play in a tiny church in Texas in '98 on Valentines Day.
And my boys swept me off my feet with their pudgy grins, that little hand resting on my face, as they gazed up at me. And my baby girl, oh my I just delight in her squishy baby-ness. (I am sure she will love to hear later in life that we called her our squishy baby girl!)

JEB said...

James looks into my eyes sometimes in a way that as you say sort of borders on romantic. Then he grins or giggles and drops his gaze and runs away and, well, then I just have to run after him!

Welcome to the club, Mamacita!

"Molly McGee" said...

This picture makes me think of that book that I wrote for Wyatt where I mention all the things I miss about him. Then I end the book by saying "But your kisses, those I miss most of all."

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

So sweet. Lately I've been dreaming I'm holding a baby again. There's nothing like that bond in the world. Nothing.