Embarrassing moments

Last week, after our flight out of town for Thanksgiving was canceled, Superman and I had a day to "waste" in town (we eventually made it out Thanksgiving Day, FYI). So we did a little shopping and ended up at T.J. Maxx. As I picked up a picture frame, I was reminded of a day last year when I had done the same at that exact location and dropped it on the ground. At that time, I felt my face get hot and that brief moment of "oh no!!!" You see, in my youth, I broke something made of glass on three separate occasions in the T.J. Maxx chain. Every time I was mortified by what I'd done and vowed never to handle anything delicate again while shopping! (If you've ever been a kid, you know that never sticks.) But one of the nicest things about being a grown-up is the concept of perspective. Even if I DO happen to pick up that vase and drop it, the store isn't going to ban me; there's no need to cry. Just wait for the nice teenager with a dustpan to come and clean it up. The moment is only as embarrassing as you let it be . . .

1 comment:

Everyday Anne said...

I remember the incident with the pack of gum very well... ahhh, my short spree as a criminal. I have yet to break something in a store though.