"Grudges in old jars"


I love that line. It comes from the Newsboys song, "Million Pieces," about letting things go and giving them up to God. Here it is in its lyrical context:

Why you holdin' grudges in old jars?
Why you wanna show off all your scars?
What's it gonna take to lay a few burdens down?
It's a beautiful sound


Songs like this convict me -- I don't want to be a scar show-er offer. And I certainly don't want to keep my grudges nice and fresh in a dusty jar.

Emotional scars are important for two reasons: They are the sign of a healed wound, a reminder of God's grace in our past. Secondly, they are useful as part of our testimony to others. Outside of these two occasions, I'm hard-pressed to find a compelling reason to whip 'em out.

We ought to be discreet with our non-physical scars. Why? Because they came about when someone did us harm, and if we're not careful, those reminders turn into grudges.

I find myself in awe of people who speak Victimese exclusively -- the language of eternal victims. Everything in their world has been done TO them. Watch for it in a conversation; it's very strange. What a pity that 90% of the things these victims recall as being done to them is negative. How many more good things were done FOR them, or did they themselves do, that will never be recounted?

But I have to be careful here. As evidenced by this very blog, I can be all too eager to share my "injustices." I pray I'm not one to point out the spec in my neighbor's eye while ignoring the plank in my own. Lord, teach me to keep my pantry clear of grudge-filled jars, and may I only roll up my sleeves to reveal a scar when it demonstrates the healing balm of Your grace.

1 comment:

Everyday Anne said...

Well put. Eloquent. You have reminded me of my own little grudges or resentful attitudes. May your prayer be all of ours.