Alternate universe

Last night I went to the third movie in three weeks, which seems unreal for me ... but good. I went to a "dollar" theater with my mom and two sisters to see "Serenity." I didn't know anything about this movie, except for the vague memory of a preview I saw months ago. But time with the girls is a must, so I agreed.

The movie is written and directed by Joss Whedon of TV's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fame. That really was the hook for all of us. His writing is clever, imaginative and sharp -- and this movie was no exception. Lots of action, quippy comebacks, good story, decent acting. All very Buffy-esque, except in space. It's good, solid entertainment for those of you in the market for that sort of thing.

I perceived a not-so-subtle political message throughout (you'll see it too). But, as I asked my little sister, is it really a politically slanted movie or just a great sci-fi/good vs. evil flick? Perhaps I'm too jaded. You'll have to judge for yourself, I guess. See ya'll next year!

1 comment:

girlfriday said...

I don't think it was just a great sci fi movie. The snippets of conversation I heard between you and ihearttexas got me thinking about Whedon's possible implications.

Society, attempting universal peace and harmony, which can never fully be achieved in this life, inadvertantly breeding a race of murderous lunatics. Hmmm...