A movie review ... sort of

I'm not entirely qualified to critique movies on an artistic level. But hey, I'm a consumer, so my opinion should count too, right? My husband took me to see "The Family Stone" this weekend, and I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to it. From the time I saw the first preview months ago, I said, "Yea! The ultimate holiday movie about family and life!" Well, in short, it's not.

Don't get me wrong; it's not a bad movie. It's just not great. The word I keep coming back to is "unfocused." The performances are good enough (you'll fall in love with Luke Wilson, Sarah Jessica Parker is refreshingly different, and Craig T. Nelson is a sweet surprise), but the rhythm is not. For awhile you appreciate the true-to-life awkward moments that form in situations such as this (outsider girl meets close-knit family that thinks they're "it"). But the longer it goes, the more you long for definition: What is this character's nature? Why aren't they focusing more on her than him? How am I supposed to believe THEY'RE in love?

The result is an entertaining tale of family dynamics, but not a whole lot more. There are some good lessons in it, however, especially the family's image of itself and how that must change. See it if you're bored, but not if you're expecting greatness of great proportions. It's a solid dollar movie or weekend renter. You'll long for better direction, but appreciate the reality each moment of familial familiarity it paints.

No comments: