"But your kids are gonna love it"

That's what Marty McFly announces at a 1955 high school dance in "Back to the Future" after failing to strike a chord (pun intended) with a rocked-out "Johnny B. Good." And I tend to think the same concept applies when people are deciding which albums to put on their lists of all-time best. Like a fine cheese -- or wine, if you will -- it seems a good rock album must age about a decade before it reaches truly cool status.

I was thinking about this awhile back, after I asked Lee what his faves were (if you haven't checked out his blog, by the way, I recommend you do so ASAP ... despite his failure to update, I caved and am adding him to my links because his humor is well worth the read). Anyway, there was a part of me that wanted to put U2's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" on my list. But wouldn't I sound lame? Everyone knows "Joshua Tree" is the correct answer. Afterall, it did come first.

This situation didn't turn into too much of a dilemma, however, since it happens that "Achtung Baby" is probably my first choice. But back to my point -- why should people just nod in agreement when I fondly recall the greatness of Silverchair's "Frogstomp," but roll their eyes when I say "Diorama" really knocked my socks off? Can't they both be good, or do I have to wait another five years?

I realize by writing this, I'll probably be labeled for my rock 'n' roll naivete. Save yourself the trouble; I know I'm not an expert. But I know the score. Afterall, I had to wait 20 years before "Captain and Tennille's Greatest Hits" became super cool.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Hmmm... you've got a good point.

But there is one loophole: If the band (or at the very least, the lead singer) dies suddenly, I think it's okay to waive the five year rule.

For instance:
1) Nirvana
2) Alice in Chains
3) the Glenn Miller Orchestra
4) Danger Baby

Okay, so nobody actually DIED in that last one (which happens to be an old one of mine by the way). But my brother had a tendency to DRESS like he was dead.

Father Knows (Travis) Best said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

From MR. Lois E. Lane:

This is the only time you will EVER see me participate in a blog. I am much too boring to get involved with this whole "scene." I mean, even my blogger identity is about as plain as Jodie Foster in a gray cardigan sweater eating tapioca pudding and discussing politics with ... er ... someone else who is extremely plain.

The only reason I am commenting this one time is to let everyone know how special Lois E. Lane is. She is my wife, my best friend, my encourager ... the list goes on and on. Besides the fact that I love her very much, I respect her intelligence, the great work she does, the soft heart she has, the giving nature she displays and the adoration she heaps on me for some strange reason.

I praise God for putting her in my life.

So, you'll never hear from me again, and I'll never know if anyone comments on this entry, but keep reading the musings of this wonderful person.