Ho-hum

My knowledge of the cartoon "South Park" is limited to what I read in headlines and a few scenes I've caught over the years. I do know that shock value is paramount to its creators, even if it means sacrificing cleverness or originality at times.

Last week's show apparently featured more than 40 uses of the "n-word." And a lot of viewers applauded the episode.

I'm sure there's some great moment of satire I don't know about (because I didn't and won't watch it), but still -- hasn't that card been played by "South Park's" creators about a thousand times? You know, the gag where they take some pop-culture controversy and beat it to death?

Yes, it may have been funny and even insightful, but should this show still be making headlines after 11 years when there really are no new tricks up its sleeve?

2 comments:

Everyday Anne said...

The depravity of man. I think that's the answer to the question.

girlfriday said...

I love how you never let these things slip by.

It's stupid and juvenile, but it's also South Park.