Lost in translating

"Listen to your heart." "When God closes a door, He always opens a window." "Maybe it's a sign."

At times I'm tempted to throw up my hands and say, "OK I give up. What are you trying to tell me here, Lord?" I find it difficult to decipher between challenges that are faith-stretchers and those that are slamming doors -- test of strength vs. hint to quit.

I've never been one to begin a sentence with, "God told me to..." There's nothing inherently wrong with sentences that begin that way, but my Maker usually communicates with me in more subtle ways. It typically involves the opening and shutting of doors. I seek guidance for a decision, then the proper path makes itself plain. Typically.

But what, then, when circumstances turn A-typical? I'll be strolling along, minding my own business and feeling confirmed in my pursuit. Then things begin to drop off and a "Dead End" sign looms in the distance. If I ignore the sign and press on, will I discover it is a mirage and be rewarded for my perseverance? Or will my fears be confirmed at the end of the path and I'll see my journey exposed for what it is -- a waste of time?

This is the virtually constant struggle inside me. I feel so passionate about the direction of my endeavors at times, but then something clasps my ankle as if to say, "There's a reason this isn't working out for you."

I guess for now I can stand still in the middle of trail and wait. How long, I do not know. Perhaps I'll just wait for a sign...

3 comments:

Everyday Anne said...

Sometimes that's the most any of us can do. Stand in the middle of a trail, wind in the face, and wait for the breeze to calm down and maybe if it does we'll hear the slightest hint of a whisper. I typically pursue things the way that you have described. I don't have any good answers.

SerineKat said...

Ditto. Although, when in a situation like the one you described I take time to reassess why I wanted that path in the first place. Sometimes I find that although it made itself open to me it really wasn't want i truely needed or wanted. I mean just because someone is throwing a party doesn't mean you HAVE to go. Also, as people change and grow so do goals and life paths. This might just be God saying 'Lois, I know you wanted X but your life is going in direction Z now... wakeup.'

Queenheroical said...

I haven't sage words just a scripture I have found very helpful for me, not that it will hit the mark for you but I thought I would share it just in case:

Whether you turn to the right or to the left,Your ears will hear a voice behind you saying “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:21-2ish

It comforts me to know He is sovereign, because I am a deaf, blind mute (spiritually speaking) and I can't be trusted to walk the right way.

a fellow traveler, Krina