VERY important stuff: My picks!!

Who sings your favorite versions of the following Christmas songs?
{I've added my selections in italics below -- thank you to everyone who participated!}

1• "The Christmas Song" ~ Nat King Cole

2• "Let it Snow" ~ Michael Buble (tied with Harry, actually)

3• "The Christmas Waltz" ~ The Carpenters (though Michael W. Smith's is noteworthy)

4• "O Holy Night" ~ Harry Connick Jr. (if Mariah Carey sang the second verse, I'd give her the edge)

5• "Jingle Bells" ~ Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters

6• "Silent Night" ~ Josh Groban

7• "Joy to the World" ~ Trisha Yearwood

8• "Sleigh Ride" ~ Harry Connick Jr.

9• "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" ~ Josh Groban (an amazing song that doesn't get recorded enough!)

10• "White Christmas" ~ Bing (DUH!)

Which are your two favorite, original Christmas songs (in others words, a song actually written by the artists who sang it first)?
"The Blessed Dawn of Christmas Day" by Harry Connick Jr. and "Christmastime" by Michael W. Smith.

What's the first Christmas album/CD/tape you play when the season begins?
A glorious mix I created (if I do say so myself) that begins with a sample of Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed singing "Buffalo Gals" and immediately goes into Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You."

DISCUSS!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1-Nat King Cole,2-Johnny Mathis, 3-?, 4-Andy Williams, 5-?, 6-?, 7-?, 8- Steve and Edie (who knows who they are), 9-?, 10-Bing. Probably "Messiah" the first that I play, but not always.
Dad Friday

girlfriday said...

I'm with Dad Friday on White Christmas. That one is a no-brainer.

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a stumper. Nothing jumps out at me as being memorable.

girlfriday said...

PS: I love how you tell us to DISCUSS. It's so do or die.

"Molly McGee" said...

1. Is there really a question? Nat King Cole
2. Harry Connick Jr.
3. The Carpenters, but as much as I like this song I can't get past the cheesiness of the line "...and this song of mine in 3/4 time..."
4. Josh Groban because he sings all the verses and Mariah Carey because she's amazing.
5. Bing Crosby with the Andrew Sisters
6. Bing Crosby
7. I don't know. Some choral version of it.
8. Amy Grant
9. Nat
10. Why even ask? Bing.

Mariah's All I Want for Christmas is You, Harry's When My Heart Finds Christmas, It Must Have Been Ol' Santa and The Blessed Dawn of Christmas Day, Michael W. Smith's All is Well, The Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas in Sarajevo and Wham!'s Last Christmas (I'm only mostly kidding).

The first each year is Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas, the classic with him wearing the red Santa hat on the cover.

Other notable faves: Still, Still, Still and the Hallelujiah Chorus.

The Fridays are amateurs at this game.

Anonymous said...

from Brother "E. Lane:"

1. Nat King Cole
2. Harry Connick, Jr.
3. The Carpenters
4. Harry Connick, Jr.
5. Bing Crosby
6. Aaron Neville
7. Frank Sinatra
8. Steve and Edie
9. Frank Sinatra
10. Bing Crosby
11. (Bonus Song -- "What Child is This?" -- Sarah McLachlan)
12. (Bonus Song #2 -- "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing" -- Nat King Cole)

"The Blessed Dawn of Christmas Day" -- Harry Connick, Jr.
"Christmastime" -- Michael W. Smith.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow you ask tough questions because I'm not sure who the original singers are in some of these. One song that is continually missing from lists is Annie Lennox's Winter Wonderland. Maybe other people think it's terrible, but I like it. I like to hear Harry sing anything, and I'm a big Amy Grant fan. Finally, I love the horse whinnies in "Sleigh Ride." How's that for not answering the questions at all?

bryan said...

Who sings your favorite versions of the following Christmas songs?
1• "The Christmas Song" - Mel Torme (The Velvet Fog)
2• "Let it Snow" - Andy Williams
3• "The Christmas Waltz" - Umm... I obviously don't listen to enough Christmas music.
4• "O Holy Night" - Eric Truxal (a local favorite)
5• "Jingle Bells" - My two oldest sons
6• "Silent Night" - Once again, Xavie and Max (Xavier was singing it in the car last night... best version I've ever heard)
7• "Joy to the World" - Any congregation on Christmas Eve
8• "Sleigh Ride" - It's such a happy song I can pretty much enjoy just about any version.
9• "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" - I cannot remember one memorable version of this song
10• "White Christmas" - Bing

Which are your two favorite, original Christmas songs (in others words, a song actually written by the artists who sang it first)? Probably "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Joseph's Lullaby"

What's the first Christmas album/CD/tape you play when the season begins? "In The Christmas Spirit" (Booker T and the MG's)